Travel CardsDiscounted Travel Cards
There are 3 available types of travel cards:
- War Widows/Widowers HM Forces Railcard
- War Widows Senior Railcard
- Veterans Concessionary Travel Scheme
- War Widow(er)s, and dependent children aged 16 and over in receipt of a Forces Family Pension from either the Armed Forces Pension Scheme 1975 or 2005 AND a War Widows, War Widowers or Child’s War Pension.
- War Widows, War Widowers, Recognised Partners and dependent children aged 16 and over in receipt of the Guaranteed Payment (GIP) from the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme 2005.
- Children aged 16 and over in full time education, receiving the qualifying pensions may have a railcard in their own right. (16 and 17 year olds can only purchase tickets for themselves.)
- A Qualifying adult may take up to 4 children, aged over 5 years and under 16 years on the date of travel, with them at a discounted child rate.
- Those who remarry are no longer eligible once the current railcard has expired.
The price of the Railcard is £15
First time applicant:
Please send a completed form and a Passport photograph and a cheque for each Railcard required.
Send a completed application form, the expired railcard(s) and a cheque for each Railcard.
First time and renewal please remember to enclose your cheque for £15.00, per card, made payable to the War Widows Association of Great Britain.
Application forms can be downloaded or obtained by ringing The Pensions Department the Royal British Legion 0203 207 2165.
The issue of the card(s) will be speeded up if you send an SAE.
Send your completed application form, cheque etc to:
The Pensions Officer (Railcards)
199 Borough High Street
Download an application Form:Adobe PDF Format
This gives a £6.00 reduction off the Senior Rail Card it is available to those aged 60 or over who are only in receipt of a War Widows Pension
The application form is available to download: Senior Railcard Application Form
Or apply to the chairman:
War Widows’ Association of GB
c/o The Royal British Legion
199 Borough High Street
War Widows/ers, AFCS War Widows and recognised partners of any age, in receipt of ongoing payments from the War Pension Scheme or the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme may apply for a VCTS Oyster Photo Card which entitles the bearer to free travel at any time in London on the bus, tube, Docklands Light Railway and London Overground Services. There are some concessions on travel on mainline rail services just outside the Greater London Zone. This concession is available to those under 60 living in London and of any age throughout the United Kingdom. Those of 60 or over living in London can apply for a Freedom Pass.
Qualifying parents can apply for a VCTS card for dependent children.
Tel : 0845 331 9872 Select option 5 to request an application form and information pack
- They will then require a photocopy of your Awards Notification or annual uprating letter from the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA) showing your entitlement to an ongoing payment under the War Pensions Scheme or Armed Forces Compensation Schem
- A passport size photo