Discounted Travel Cards
There are 3 available types of travel cards:
- War Widows/Widowers HM Forces Railcard
- War Widows Senior Railcard
- Veterans Concessionary Travel Scheme
War Widows/Widowers HM Forces Railcard
- War Widow(er)s, and dependent children aged 16 and over in receipt of a Forces Family Pension from either the Armed Forces Pension Scheme 1975 or 2005 AND a War Widows, War Widowers or Child’s War Pension.
- War Widows, War Widowers, Recognised Partners and dependent children aged 16 and over in receipt of the Guaranteed Payment (SGIP) from the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme 2005.
- Children aged 16 and over in full time education, receiving the qualifying pensions may have a Railcard in their own right. (16 and 17 year olds can only purchase tickets for themselves.) Eligibility for the card ceases when the child leaves full time education.
- A qualifying adult may take up to 4 children, aged over 5 years and under 16 years on the date of travel, with them at a discounted child rate.
The price of the Railcard is £20.00
First time applicant:
Please send a completed form, a passport photograph, a cheque and proof of eligibility for each Railcard required.
Send a completed application form, the expired Railcard(s) and a cheque for each Railcard.
First time and renewal please remember to enclose your cheque for £20.00 per card made payable to the War Widows’ Association of Great Britain.
Application forms can be downloaded or obtained by ringing The Pensions Department the Royal British Legion 0203 207 2165.
The issue of the card(s) will be quicker if you send an SAE.
On the application envelope please write CONFIDENTIAL in the top left hand corner and send your completed application form, cheque etc to:
The Pensions Officer (Railcards)
c/o 199 Borough High Street
Download a War Widows / Widowers HM Forces Railcard Application Form (Word Format)
Download a War Widows / Widowers HM Forces Railcard Application Form (PDF Format)
War Widows Senior Railcard
This gives a £6.00 reduction off the cost of a Senior Railcard. It is available to those aged 60 or over who are in receipt of a War Widows’ Pension. The application form is available to download: Senior Railcard Application Form
Or apply by writing to:
The War Widows’ Association of GB
c/o 199 Borough High Street
Download a War Widows Senior Railcard Application Form (Word Format)
Download a War Widows Senior Railcard Application Form (PDF Format)
Veterans Concessionary Travel Scheme (VCTS)
War Widows/ers, AFCS War Widows and recognised partners of any age, in receipt of ongoing payments from the War Pension Scheme or the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme may apply for a VCTS Oyster Photo Card which entitles the bearer to free travel at any time in London on the bus, tube, Docklands Light Railway and London Overground Services. There are some concessions on travel on mainline rail services just outside the Greater London Zone.
For more information and details on how to apply please visit http://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/adult-discounts-and-concessions/veterans-oyster-photocard?intcmp=10819
Note: Our forms are in Word and PDF format.
To view PDF documents you can download Adobe Reader here free of charge.
If you don’t have Microsoft Office Word installed, you can use Word Viewer to open, view, or print documents. This is free of charge. Download Word Viewer here.